Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Our community

Last Wednesday was the biggest we've had for some time. We did miss Chris and Pete but were really glad to see Jason, Rachel and Lauren. Of course I was back too. The evening started with a quick reminder that no matter what we are going to keep praying on Wednesdays (someone had suggested we skip it).

Chris had asked me to lead so I figured he might have already arranged a reflection or reading but as it happened I winged it. After my stint overseas I felt it was appropriate to talk about how we as a community were still a community even when we're apart. Just because we're not present with each other we are still able to be together in prayer. We pray in inclusive, group language. The Lord's prayer for a start is not, "My Father ... give me ..." but rather, "Our Father ... give us ..." Communal language. No matter where I was in Europe I was able to pray with my brothers and sisters; whether at Mass or on my own; walking on the tracks of Amalfi or sitting in my room in Raynes Park. As a community we share a bond in God and he links us, not only with each other, but with his wider community as well.

I'm looking forward to sharing next Wednesday (tomorrow) with all my little community in the flesh, but even if they're not there physically I know we will be together in prayer.

Peace, Pax, Shalom
Matt J