Monday, August 14, 2006

Beyond and other grumbling...

I don't want a small God.
I don't want a God who is just a mega me.
I want a God beyond me.
I know my words can't describe God adequately. They let me down.
Whatever I say, it is not enough. Or incomplete. Or often plain wrong.
When I say God is good, I want good to be beyond anything I can understand.
When God is merciful, I want mercy beyond my wildest imaginings.
I am tired of books and people and sermons which "understand" God.
Which reduce God to little theories and ideas and 3 points to take home.
God is bigger than that.

The Eucharist is more than bakery products and port.
Baptism more than a splash.
Marriage beyond what any of us can see.

I will wait for this God beyond me.
Just for a glimpse.
In the silence.
In the unexpected moment.
Within and outside of me.
Beyond me.