Saturday, December 22, 2007

Grumpy Advent Reflections #7

Mary said: ‘My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord and my spirit exults in God my saviour; because he has looked upon his lowly handmaid. Yes, from this day forward all generations will call me blessed, for the Almighty has done great things for me. Holy is his name, and his mercy reaches from age to age for those who fear him. He has shown the power of his arm, he has routed the proud of heart. He has pulled down princes from their thrones and exalted the lowly. The hungry he has filled with good things, the rich sent empty away. He has come to the help of Israel his servant, mindful of his mercy – according to the promise he made to our ancestors –of his mercy to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.’
(Reading from Mass)

I love a good sing! And when I spend time with my friends the monks, this prayer is sung each evening at Vespers. Often it is sung in Latin.

But however it is recited, I have grown into the Magnificat – this song of praise of Mary.

Mary sees herself in God plan. God is working within history and time to bring in the Kingdom –a plan enacted through prophets and people back to time of Abraham.

I have grown into the Magnificat by beginning to see myself in Mary’s song.

I am the proud who needs to be shown Gods sovereignty.

I am the hungry who God has filled.

I am the one who has received God’s help and mercy.

But the Magnificat is also more than just Mary’s and my song.

It is also a challenge.

It challenges me to live in trust of Gods plan - to see myself in the line of Gods people through history, and as Mary does, to trust in Gods ultimate control.

It challenges me to work for Justice to bring in Gods kingdom through my actions, my prayer and my relationships

But most of all, at this time of year, I can join in Mary’s song, praising God for the birth of Jesus, and all of the hope, joy and new life that brings.

All of which is a good cure for grumpiness.

Travel safely friends!