Saturday, March 25, 2006

Community- definition

Like Chris mentioned we are doing a Lenten study Christ and the Chocolaterie based on the movie Chocolat. We spent two weeks watching the movie and began the study this week. I’ll be honest and say that I have only just finished reading the introduction to the study and this paragraph struck me as I feel it really rings true to us and who we are as community:

The word community is often used to describe a group of people who just happen to be thrown together by geography or interest. True community, however, is far deeper – and quite rare. The following definition is based on the writings of Dr M. Scott Peck… “We define community as a group of people who, regardless of their backgrounds and beliefs, have been able to accept and transcend their differences, enabling them to communicate effectively and openly.”

I hope that through this study and our continued sharing of our lives together we may continue to group as a community. Thanks to the community for accepting me and welcoming me and allowing me to be who I am and share my life with you.
God Bless
Shelle :)