Monday, March 06, 2006

Hidden-ness

I finally got my self a copy of “Emerging Churches” by Gibbs and Bolger. It’s a good read. At this point in our communities journey it is good to read that we are

(1) not alone in doing the small community thing and
(2) that the issues we face are the same that others have, and continue to face.

But, perhaps it’s just me, but I run into problems with this sort of thing. The minute we put something down in print we give it a pseudo endorsement, both of the subject of the text and of the authors as knowledgeable about the issue. I would hate to think that others new to the movement or whatever we call it, feel this book sums it up.
New communities (new monasticism, emergent church, missional communities, take your pick really…) are all “emerging” (whatever that means) because we are on the way to something – a new way of being church. By definition we can’t be there yet and not many people I know think they have got it all worked out anyway!

That said, and the fact that I was sad there was so little of Oceanic groups mentioned (although they do state why…). This book is terrific in analysing the present state of the movement by allowing emergent church leaders to tell their story and offering their opinions. It avoids being too academic and I loved the bios of the contributors- many of whose blogs I read. I can really, really recommend it.
5 people are lined up to borrow mine!

Which leads me to hidden-ness. Did I feel we needed to be in there? Have those communities mentioned in the book noticed people beating down their doors to
“Have a look”? (Nothing can disturb a community’s life more! Look at the changes Taize has had to make over the years to accommodate their visitors). What will the long-term ramifications of this book be to these communities spiritual growth? How missional and open can you be and still maintain a communities integrity and strength of life? How many awesome communities were not listed? Should they have been?

Turning to our community’s monastic foundations, I think of all the little known monks and nuns through the years who have been hidden away, and yet whose prayers and mere presence have been powerful forces in the world.
We will never know who they are, no matter how intune with God they are, but they make the way clear before us.

I think this is what I wish for our community.
To be hidden, not drawing attention to our selves, getting on with being Gods people in our context, but still being open to the next challenge, the next person.

But I still check the blog stats to see how many people are checking us out!

Oh Vanity!