Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Concerned?

Over on Martha Martha, they have a very confronting display of depression images.

I searched for some of Australia and found an excellent resource here and here.

It was awful time in the history of the world. Poverty. Pain and despair.

Even here in “The Lucky Country”

One of the traps I find in any church movement, be it Emerging or Catholic or whatever, is balancing spiritual concerns with social justice. My natural tendency is towards silence and solitude, multi textural liturgy, rich and deep. But how does a concern for the poor fit into this?

But all of this is useless if I do not love the world around me – doing what I can to be a light to those around me and share their journey.

I think of the great Anglo Catholic Anglican priests of the 1930’s who lived and worked with the poor. The monks throughout the world who open their doors to the stranger and guest, without judgement or expectation of payment.

All of them living a rich liturgical life, lifting the hearts of the weary and broken into the mystery of God.

These saints are a model for me; Serving God's people with Balance, Compassion and Grace.