Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Confessions of a Liturgical Christian

I am a Liturgical Christian.

But what do I mean by this? Why is Liturgy a good thing? Why do I get grumpy, especially with the boomer generation, who don't seem to, or even want to, get it - or at least want to change it constantly?

For me, and the community, Liturgy is the foundation of our expression of the faith. It is a means by which both the truths of faith are expressed (Readings, creeds, homilies, hymns) and God is seen and experienced (Sacraments, Rites, Rituals, Seasons).

The mystery of God can be expressed liturgically in silence, in confession, in celebration, in simplicity, in brokenness.

We join with the whole history of Christians in worship - especially in the breaking of bread at the Eucharist.

It creates a holistic environment where God is palatable among us. I have sensed God's presence in the liturgy which has bought me to tears - in a way beyond words or explanation.

Liturgy pulls the attention off us and directs us to God. We in turn become formed by the Liturgy - its rhythms and depths opening to us through our participation.

Enough for One day. Off to say Lauds!