Monday, May 01, 2006

More on Practice

As I think about the outward shape of my Christian life again, I have rediscovered a terrific book - which is now part of a series.

Benedictine Sister Mary Mary Funk (also here and here) has written a terrific book - "Tools matter for practicing the Spiritual life".

In it she lists 25 practices which can sustain and support our spiritual journey.



Some she lists are Lectio, guarding the heart, watchfulness of thoughts, fasting, dreams, repentance, ceaseless prayer, manual labor, the cell, vigils, manifestation of thoughts, humility, ministry, and the common table.

It's quite a list, but one which gives me hope and encouragement that I can find a way to pray in the midst of whatever life experience I am having.

She has also written two other books "Thoughts matter ..." And "humility matters...". Think I would like to read these!!

These themes - about how we practice faith and prayer - are being picked up all over the place. Try these cool writings from some of my web friends and people I admire. Here and Here .

How's your prayer life? What is sustaining you today?