Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Advent reflection 1

Advent reflections for the next 7 days. 

Feel free to join the conversation but be aware that possible heresy may only be greeted by applause . . . 

And Jacob was the father of Joseph the husband of Mary;         of her was born Jesus who is called Christ.                                 (From the Gospel of the day, Matthew 1: 1 -14)

The genealogy of Jesus is today’s reading. Tracing the line from Abraham through trial, tribulation, belief, disbelief, obedience, disobedience all the way to the messiah.

This reading is so multi – layered  - it’s a beginning, its about humanness. It’s about connectedness of generations to the divine story. But for me today, in true Benedictine fashion, it’s a story of community. Of how those people around us, with whom we share our lives, matter and fit into the bigger story of God coming amongst us in Jesus.

Today I celebrated life with two communities. I celebrated the Eucharist with those I live and work amongst as we ended our year together. I celebrated a meal with that same group, and talked and laughed. In the evening I celebrated with my own little community as we shared gifts, drank red wine, walked, talked and shared together.

As I look back over the day, I wonder where God was?

In the eyes of the children opening their gifts!

In the care of some of my colleagues to another who was not well.

In a few quite deep conversations I had at the strangest times!

In the healing of some students I had been visiting.

I saw God in interactions today. In people spending time, and love with one another. 

As I get closer to Christmas I want to keep this perspective. 

Seeing God in those people I meet as the days pass in busyness and stress.                                                        

To take time to wonder at the beauty of Gods creation in each other. 

To able on Christmas day to celebrate the birth of a Jesus, who came as one of us, to show us Gods new way of living.    

Blessings to you all – and keep your eyes open!!