Thursday, December 18, 2008

Advent reflection 2

Joseph son of David, do not be afraid  (Reading from Mass.)

I was once told that the most common thing that Jesus says in the Gospel texts is “Do not be afraid”.

I love that, and I need to hear it because as those who know me well have probably realized (In fact I know they have because they tell me!), I am a bit of a worrier. I especially love that a good priest friend of mine always prays that “we will be free from all wasteful anxiety” – because, from personal experience I know that it wastes time and that it hurts me – stopping me being whole and available for God.

Christmas can be a time of being afraid too.

Of what people think of my gifts/house/food/music/kids….

Of what Christmas day will bring.

Of how to negotiate shopping/driving/spending/partying/drinking/eating . . .

Of my credit card bill!

But I get the feeling that the newborn baby really doesn’t care about this stuff. Like all babies, he wants love. And the funny thing about love is that it draws us out of ourselves and into the mystery of what we are loving . . .

So take some time to sit in awe and wonder. Allow the story to touch you again. Take it with you through your day.

And may you find some peace. And not be afraid.