Friday, April 28, 2006

What's Your Practice?

Mini retreat over.
A lot LESS successful than I would have hoped.
BUT what have I learned?

(1) I could never be a Carthusian! Really - the discipline required to sustain that sort of life is mind boggling to me.
Besides, I have kids...

(2) I need to create more opportunities to have silence and solitude and slowness in my life.
I know this is a given, especially since I love Benedictine spirituality, but I need constant reminding.
Interestingly enough, two of my favourite blogs have been discussing this too!
Read here and here.

(3) I need a discipline in my life related to point two.
This doesn't only come from the retreat but from two other things.
Firstly, I read a really interesting article in an old magazine about "Zen and Christian Practice" which was using the idea that as Christians, specific practices are a help, as in Zen Buddhism where meditation, vegetarian food etc help define the religious identity.
I think this relates to my earlier post about being a Catholic.
What is my practice as a catholic Christian? What gives me life? The mass obviously comes to mind very quickly but what about praying the office, meditation, Lectio?
Worth some thought I think.

Of course, my Doctors visit was a catalyst too - usual high blood pressure, fast pulse, bit over weight etc etc. Now's the time though...

Have added in a few extra links to interesting folk whon are reading us a bit too.

Cheers

C