Thursday, April 20, 2006

Back into my Head for a bit

My new good friend Antony (To the Quiet) has very kindly posted one of our blog entries on his site…which made me think “Did I really mean all those things?” and of course, yes I did – but I want to add a few bits!

I do say I “really converted to Monasticism” – but I did very happily convert to Catholicism.
I felt this was right because the tradition that I feel in love with (Benedictine) takes its place within that faith tradition, and I wanted to be part of it.
I have experienced a deep tradition in which I can immerse myself – through the Early Church Fathers, the Benedicitine, Cistercian, Trappist and Carthusian writers, as well as many others who have written after been formed by the worship and life of the Catholic Church (Eg Henri Nouwen)

I also talked about liturgy, and “things of the earth” being a vital element in my conversion process. This is true, but incomplete. As I study the scriptures, read the church’s teachings, slowly (very slowly!) read catholic theologians, I come to more clearly appreciate how (if that is possible) the mystery of God is made tactile through liturgy and sacrament – that they lead me to experience the ultimate sacrament – Jesus Christ. This is of course, a very great mystery, and which I will spend the rest of my earth bound years exploring, and never fully knowing.

I hope these thoughts are not too rambly, but after reading Matt’s post yesterday and talking at community last night, I did feel a little more thinking on my part was necessary.

It’s just a great mystery!

Peace.