Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Simply coming home

As noted in Chris' last 2 posts, most of us made our traditional Easter Pilgrimage to New Norcia (a 5 year old tradition...how long should we be doing something before it officially becomes a tradition? I'll have to look that up).

For me this time of year now has a special sense of both solemnity and celebration. 2003 was the year I was recieved into the Catholic church and in a strange way it feels like my birthday when we hit the Easter Vigil.

Good Friday and the reading of the passion remind me about where I have been as much as the last hours of our Lord's life. I know I haven't been hurt or crushed like Jesus was, but in every hurt I do have, I know Jesus travels with me. The veneration of the cross is the other part of this liturgy that gets me every time. There was nothing like it in my previous life as an Anglican. This year it was as 4 year old Noah kissed the cross just in front of me. It was all I could do to hold back the tears. I still want that simple childlike faith.

In the two and a half hours of the vigil on Sunday morning we get to travel through the journey of the people of God as they follow where only he can lead them. We also get a glimpse into the people serving us through the various parts of the liturgy. For the last 5 years our little community has been able to assist with the NN liturgy through music, reading, prayer, participation and the presence of the children (always a joy as you don't know what they'll do). In such a long liturgy there is always the possibility of a slip-up. For example, a couple of years ago Eliza, being carried by her daddy to re-light the candles, set her hair on fire (it was quickly put out). This year in singing the psalms Chris sang that God would provide a "wimple for the simple". It was well covered however and most people went away unsure whether they had heard correctly or not. I, however could hardly keep a straight face. It's these little joys that provide great "birthday entertainment". Like Noah wandering across the sanctuary in the middle of the Eucharistic prayer with a handful of extinguished candles to share with his godfather (me).

After sharing the vigil we go on to share a meal and put the kids down for a nap (hopefully). In the end it is all like coming home. I really feel comfortable when I'm in New Norcia, like a bit of me belongs there. The life shown in the Easter Triduum speaks to a part of me that just keeps wanting to see God. I guess that is why He's given me all these people around me. In their hospitality, friendship and love, I see Him at work.

Pax
Matt J