Monday, April 24, 2006

What is the resurrection for me?

These thoughts are my dialoguing with the text of the day.
They are incomplete, wandering and personal. Take them as you will.

A few years ago I was having some “therapy” for a relationship that went drastically wrong. During this time, the counsellor and I spent a great deal of time focusing on my spiritual journey, seeing this as a way of recovery. As we discussed the contemplative path I was, and still am, following he made the statement
‘This is a lonely, solo path you are following. But you must continue”.
This gave me hope at the time, and still does.

Today’s reading from the Carthusian Novice Conferences book does the same.
In “Alleluia” the anonymous author asks “What is the resurrection for me?”
His response is the remainder of the talk.
Two quotes drew me, which I will spend the rest of today mulling over them and bring them to the Community on Wednesday:

We are all poor people.
Little by little we become aware of that: poverty and solitude are our lot.


In the face of the greyness of the human heart:
Believe in Christ, hope against all hope, love as much as one can, allow the power of the Spirit to act in us, trust in God, trust in the faith of our brothers,
begin again untiringly every day, seek with Easter eyes, cultivate with all our care the seeds of light and love that cross our lives …
Have the courage of a joy that no one can take away, the serenity of a peace born on the cross, the humility to receive everything, gratuitously, without any merit.

These strike me as incredible responses to how to see the world in the light of the resurrection of Christ. If only I had the grace to allow this to happen to me, with me and through me.

What parts of me need to be resurrected, healed, transformed into love,
in the light of Christ’s resurrection?

I think the resurrection means for me – freedom.
Freedom from death, from sin, from myself, from judging others.

Still thinking.