Tuesday, April 25, 2006

An Easter Reflection

Many apologies for not publishing yesterday, but it appears that Blogger had bad day for most of us…

It is ANZAC day here in Australia, a public holiday when we remember the soldiers of Australia and New Zealand who lost their lives in the Gallipoli battle of the 1914 – 1918 war, but also all military actions. As I get older, this day becomes more important and a reason to work for peace for my family, my community and my world.

Some people seem to have enjoyed my post about why I became a Catholic.
Check out a cool discussion
here.

From Jesus, (with Carthusian commentary!)

Peace be with you!
Death, darkness, suffering, egoism, your limitations, your weakness, your sin – all that is defeated, once for all

Do Not Be Afraid
I love you exactly as you are, I have taken your weaknesses upon myself, I shared them, except your sin. Let us not speak about it any further. All that is defeated, finished. Everything is changed….

Believe
Give me your empty space to pour into it the vitality of my love and my joy.
Believe in joy – it is possible, even for you.
Believe in love.
Believe in life, in true life.
Believe in me because I love you.
Be my joy in the heart of the church.

These simple commentaries on Jesus’ words have been crucial today. How I need to hear them. When I began the adult part of the Christian journey, taking the faith for myself, “Peace be with you” and “Do not be afraid” were words of life to me – when I felt criticized by others for having faith, when other Christians hurt and isolated me for being contemplative, or just when I was sad.

What I am getting gout of these novice talks is new eyes, a new way of seen myself, my relationships and the world, in the light of the Easter Mystery.
It is both invasively personal and yet cosmic, seeing redemption not only within me, and for me, but within the universe and for the universe. And as my Carthusian brother reminds me, in the heart of the Church, Gods gathered people.

I hope these thoughts will stay with me throughout the day, today.