Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Out of my Head and into my Body

One of the features of the Easter vigil at New Norcia over the last few years has been the reception of Christians of other denominations into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. In 2002 it was yours truly. In 2003, community member Matt, and this year another beautiful lady from the Anglican church – the same background as Matt and myself (lets not even get into that!)

Participating in Joan’s reception this year provoked some questions in me.
Why did I join the Catholic Church?
What did it offer me I wasn’t finding elsewhere?
I am fond of saying that I really converted to monasticism, and not the church as a whole – and I still have a lot of trouble with some major Catholic doctrines.
But I know, deeply, that this is the place I can be best feed, best grow, and best experience the love of God.
And so, like with any family, I am happy to be in congenial disagreement with other family members, but still share the table (in both the metaphorical and literal sense!)

My main reason for being a Catholic is because of its strong incarnational sense – it gives faith a body and an action - and not just a head full of ideas.
Initially I thought this was an attraction to liturgy, rite and ritual – and I still love these elements of my adopted Christian expression.
But I see more deeply now the importance of the “things of the earth” in enabling faith to become more real. The Lenten and Easter season are full of these aids to faith:

The ash cross on our forehead on Ash Wednesday
The bread, wine and water of the Eucharist
The washing of Feet on Maundy Thursday
The wood of the Cross on Good Friday
Candles, large and small, throughout the season,
especially the Paschal Candle of Easter Day
The waters of Baptism at the Vigil
The Oil of confirmation
The smell of incense hallowing our worship spaces and our selves


These are things that the community have found helpful, deep and encouraging on our journeys – and why we keep coming back to share the rich and silent worship of the monks.

And they are also the reason I think our children love the monastery and the monks so much – movement and colour and above all a faith that has a practice – not just a cerebral ascent. But more on that later!

Peace to you all.